Chris Barker - Spirit Healthcare
Getting the best value out of NHS resources is a key determinant of sustainable healthcare in the UK. As the Next Steps on the NHS Five Year Forward View affirmed in March 2017, ‘every pound of waste saved is a pound that can be reinvested in new treatments and better care’.
This is Spirit Healthcare’s mission.
Launched in 2009, Spirit aims to make the nation healthier and happier by delivering real value in healthcare - empowering people to take control of their health, make best use of NHS resources and utilise new technology.
We believe that innovation and improved outcomes in healthcare can only be achieved by working in partnership with patients, the NHS and local government. Our collaborative approach:
• Educates and empowers patients to increase the value of self-care
• Facilitates improvements in primary care delivery
• Delivers substantial savings on prescribing expenditure
• Utilises proprietary telehealth and wearable technology to deliver reductions in hospital admissions and improvements in quality of life Spirit’s prescribing efficiency programmes showcase a different approach to medicine optimisation, with published, proven, auditable outcomes*. By providing the resource to deliver an active approach to formulary adoption, supporting clinicians and patients alike, the Spirit model has driven 700% greater savings in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes than more traditional approaches, without compromising on quality.
An example of the success our unique combination of product technology and implementation services can provide is the Leicester City Totalcare COPD service. Formed as a partnership between Leicester City CCG, Leicester Partnership Trust, Spirit Healthcare Ltd and Totally Health PLC, the scheme was the first of its kind in the UK to bring together health coaching, telehealth – in the form of Spirit’s CliniTouch software and video conferencing functionality - and respiratory team expertise into a single, managed model of care with the patient at its centre.
In one year alone, this unique collaboration that allows appropriate clinical intervention in the patient’s home facilitated:
• 148 emergency COPD hospital admissions prevented
• Reduction in home visits
• Gross NHS savings of £243k (£117k net savings) plus additional provider savings
• Patient improvements in self-management, education and confidence
• Admissions per head reduced from 3.13 to 1.02 per year**
Another example of our collaborative approach is our EMPOWER Structured Diabetes Education programme, that we deliver as a fully managed service on behalf of our CCG partners. Recently awarded the Diabetes Self Management Education (DSME) Quality Standard by the Quality Institute for Self Management Education & Training (QISMET), EMPOWER achieves uptake rates of 44% (versus the national average recorded uptake rate of 7.6%) and delivers improvements in clinical markers by enhancing both access to education and attendance. It also achieves 99% patient satisfaction as measured by the NHS Friends and Family Test (FFT).
For more information on Spirit Healthcare’s products and services, please contact Chris Barker, CEO, Spirit Healthcare on email@example.com, or on +44 (0) 116 286 5000
* Jim Swift, Keith Pearson, Joanne Hill, Jimmy Cheung, Duncan Richardson, Alison Jane Meyers, Chris Barker: ‘Implementing Formulary Change in Diabetes’, British Journal of Healthcare Management 2017, Vol 23, No 4
** Ghosh et al. Jan 2016. Leicester Partnership NHS Trust
Visit: Spirit Healthcare